I've never grown a plant in my life but want to start a vegetable garden this spring. I have some questions!


My hardiness zone is 5b. I live in the woods, but I think I could find some spots on my property with full sun in some clearings. We have a pretty tall fence around the back to keep larger animals out already. We do have a lot of squirrels, rabbits, groundhogs, birds (including wild turkeys), and chipmunks. If I have to use an area outside of the fence for direct sunlight, there are deer, coyotes, and foxes in the area. I don't even know what animals are bad for gardens, honestly. I'm not sure what kind of soil I have (my gardener coworker asked me when I mentioned this project). Maybe Clay? I'll probably just use a whole lot of fertilizer.I have things in mind that I know I'd eat. I'm having a hard time finding definitive information about whether these things would grow easily where I live:delicata squashgarlic chivessweet potatoromanescoAre these going to be difficult for a beginner? Any advice? I know the squash needs a lot of room and a lot of direct sunlight, but delicata is my absolute favorite and it's hard to find where I live (maybe that's a bad sign). My coworker said he has had bad results with broccoli out here, so I'm wondering if the romanesco would struggle in this area or if he just had personal bad luck.Thank you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Need help planning my garden

Our garden is absolutely full of weeds and clover and they're all around the plants. How do we fix this? A lot of the plants are too close together to use a machine for it. We don't want to lose our garden

Can you help me out?