Growing in rock-covered beds


My family just moved to a new home. There is quite a number of poorly cared for beds which are river rock covered (2-3 cm mostly) rather than mulched. The landscaping was poorly cared for with weeds that have long since destroyed the underlying weed barrier, lots of day Lilies that are not very attractive, and greens that have large portions browned and dying. The whole area needs a lot of work. I am trying to wrap my head around working with the rock. How do I plant in it? Will I just remove the rock, dig in an area to amend the soil, then plant larger plants and then reapply the rock around? Am I able to remove the rock to plant perineal type bulbs and then relay the rock - will the bulbs be able to sprout through it? Just looking for overall recommendations for planting and growing the landscaping with rock-covered beds.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Need help planning my garden

Our garden is absolutely full of weeds and clover and they're all around the plants. How do we fix this? A lot of the plants are too close together to use a machine for it. We don't want to lose our garden

Can you help me out?