Gardening beginner question: Wall-friendly vines


Hey everyone, first time posting here so i hope this is the correct place.My girlfriend and I moved into an apartment last fall, and now that I'm done with university I finally wanted to make the place a comfy living space. The apartment is rather old (lots of wood, sandstone etc.) and so is its balcony. The place is very barren and "cold" at the moment, so I'm tackling this one first. My ideal vision would be some plants like tomatoes, lavender, bell-peppers etc. These are not my concern since I used to help out my mom with exactly those kinds of plants.Now the wall of the balcony is pretty ugly and empty. I'd love to have some kind of vine or climbing plant to green up the space. The problem is that I'm a little bit worried about the balcony/building. As explained, it's a pretty old "rustic" balcony. I'm worried that the plants could potentially cause serious damage to the structure, because I've seen that before. The wooden parts have lots of little cracks and crevices the vines could potentially get into and split it open.So my question is:Are there any recommendations for climbing plants / vines or plants in general that can decorate an empty wall, that don't damage the surfaces they grow on? I imagine wood as a surface is just a no-go from the getgo? What about concrete, any wall-friendly contestants there?Some more information in case that helps: We're living in Switzerland (Zone 6 according to the map), the balcony is south-facing and gets a lot of sun. Ideally the plant shouldn't grow too large (up to 3m height should be fine). The possibility to install strong supports are rather limited (however some sort of wire contraption should be possible).Again I hope this is the right place to ask. Have a great day everyone!tl;drWe have an old balcony and would love to have some kind of climbing plant or vine. Are there plants that don't damage the walls they grow on?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our garden is absolutely full of weeds and clover and they're all around the plants. How do we fix this? A lot of the plants are too close together to use a machine for it. We don't want to lose our garden

Need help planning my garden

Can you help me out?