Japanese Radish Cover Crop - Will it Affect Existing Flowers / Shrubs / Bulbs ?


Question: if I plant Japanese Radish seeds in late August (Zone 6) as a 'cover crop' as a way to try to ammend/soften/nourish/fix the existing garden soil, will the radishes negatively affect/ruin my existing flower garden?Soil Background: The soil is dry and compacted (and clay-y at the bottom); I've added compost, I've added gypsum, all with no luck. A few years back when my husband and I bought the house, he roto-tilled the soil, which I think brought up a LOT of clay. I read that Japanese Radish can be planted in late Summer, allowed to grow, then can die/rot and that this process will magically repair the soil's health come Springtime.Current Garden: I have a 'three-season' flower bed consisting of perennial flowers such as Bleeding Hearts, Helenium, Black Lace Elderberry, some tulips, and some others (the 'others' did not survive since planted last Fall as seedlings/juveniles - I suspect that they couldn't breathe in that awful soil).I suppose I'm looking to find out if the radishes will ruin what's managed to survive thus far. And if anyone has any other ideas aside from dumping bags and bags of more compost on top in the Fall.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our garden is absolutely full of weeds and clover and they're all around the plants. How do we fix this? A lot of the plants are too close together to use a machine for it. We don't want to lose our garden

Need help planning my garden

Can you help me out?