Mildew smell in soil


I'm planting a garden in a patch of land that was previously paved. Under the tiles is a layer of sand, below that some sort of landfill (old bricks and roof tiles, plastic cups, iron scraps) and below that very thick, dense soil. I've just dug a hole to see what I'm working with.The soil smells mildewy, like an old attic. What is the best here? Take out the bricks and dig through the sand and soil to mix and air them up? Or just throw new potting soil and seeds on there and hope that the plants roots take care of it? I don't want to unearth dangerous gases but I do want to create a very healthy soil.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Need help planning my garden

Our garden is absolutely full of weeds and clover and they're all around the plants. How do we fix this? A lot of the plants are too close together to use a machine for it. We don't want to lose our garden

Can you help me out?