Dead Animal in Garden


Hey everyone, I started an herb garden around a month ago. Primarily Mediterranean herbs like rosemary, oregano, basil, parsley, etc. I started everything from seed and they are all doing extremely well! Unfortunately, I live in south florida and there has been tons of rain lately. Yesterday it rained, no exaggeration, the entirety of the day. This morning I went to check on my garden and I saw some disgusting looking sludge in the back left corner of my garden that I at first mistook for rotting fruit. It was sort of stuck under my fence. I asked my grandmother to come out and take a look and she thinks it was a dead turtle because she touched something she believes to be a shell (I was not going to touch it lol). I didn’t believe it at first because I didn’t understand how it could be so decomposed after one day. My grandmother seems to think a vulture (which are seen pretty commonly around my neighborhood) may have picked it up and dropped it into my garden.Sorry about the long preface, but my main question is: are my herbs contaminated? I was trying to do some reading online about this and many people seem to think sun exposure and time will remove any potential hazardous pathogens. Specifically, the dead animal was in the corner of my garden that was dedicated to parsley. The parsley is nowhere near ready to be harvested so I am hoping that enough time will pass and everything will be fine. But I want to be sure that I am not putting myself or anyone else in any danger.If anyone has any experience with this or has any advice it would be much appreciated!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog